Have you ever heard of torta di cioccolato di olio di oliva? For those who don’t speak Italian, that means chocolate olive oil cake. We love this delicious Italian dessert for combining one of our greatest passions, quality extra virgin olive oil, with rich, decadent chocolate.
If you’re looking for a chocolate olive oil cake recipe, we’ve got a great one for you that will produce a moist cake with a great texture. However, be sure to take note of our olive oil recommendation. We found that a high-quality Italian olive oil really made a big difference in the flavor of the cake. Using an authentic extra virgin olive oil like this one is a must-have if you really want to wow people with your cake.
Chocolate Olive Oil Cake Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make your chocolate olive oil cake:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 9-inch round cake pan with parchment paper and coat the bottom and sides of the pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, brown sugar, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk in the olive oil until ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Whisk in the water and vinegar until the batter is smooth and free of lumps.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- Check for doneness with a toothpick and cook for a few more minutes if necessary.
- Allow the cake to cool before removing from the pan.