This is a variation on Penne alla Norcina. We’ve nicknamed it “Heart Attack Pasta”. Be sure to add a glass of wine — for your heart!
We think this is even better with Rustichella d’Abruzzo’s Fiori di Zucca, pumpkin pasta.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (Principe di Mascio, recommended)
- 1 pound crumbled sweet Italian sausage meat (stuffing from 4 links)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 pound Fiori di Zucca pasta
- freshly grated DOP Parmiggiano-Reggiano cheese
- Set a large pot of water to boil. Meanwhile, prepare the sauce.
- Heat olive oil in a medium sautè pan over medium-high heat. Add sausage meat and cook, stirring occasionally until sausage is browned approximately 10 minutes.
- Add the cream, salt and pepper, and cook until the sauce has thickened, 2-3 minutes. Take the sauce off the heat.
- By now the water should be boiling. Add the pasta to the salted water. Cook uncovered over high heat until al dente and drain.
- Place the pan with the sauce back over medium heat, add the pasta to the sauce pan and toss until well coated.
- Serve with grated Parmagianno-Reggiano cheese on the side.